Moving an Upright Piano, we explain the how?
Moving an Upright Piano, let’s look at the how. Pianos have inspired centuries of classical musicians. These great musical instruments give way to beautiful imagination. Moving one is a totally different story.
Before moving a piano, yourself, it is important to take the following in mind. It is a dangerous task and thinks about calling for help. It’s highly recommended to call professional piano transport. If you think you won’t be able to move the piano by yourself, get help! Despite the fact that removal service prices are not low for transporting a piano.
Moving an upright piano, what you need
Do you have a grand piano? stop whatever you’re thinking of doing and call a removal company. Removals experts do not recommend amateurs do any experiments with those, we recommend that you read Transporting a piano in musical steps it as a measure of insurance for you.
This blog is a guide that is all about moving an upright piano. What is needed for the removal of a piano?
- Work gloves
- Plastic wrap (cloth can be used too)
- Heavy duty dolly
- Dolly straps
- Weightlifting straps
- Van ramp
- Cardboard pads
- Upper body strength of at least 4 people
You can see these are not your everyday household items. We recommend even with an upright get in the experts. It is extremely expensive to fix damage to an item like a piano.
Moving an upright piano by yourself?
Measuring the upright piano dimensions
Before doing anything else, start by measuring the piano’s size. Be 100% sure of the exact dimensions. This will help you to carefully plan the whole process of moving it. Normally, an upright piano has a height of 110 to 135cm, a width of about 150cm, and an approximate depth of 60cm. Mind that these dimensions vary and yours are probably a little bit different. The average size is usually 125/150/60 cm.
Proceed with the moving process
- Measure and clear the path. Use tape or a rope to measure the door frames and make sure the piano can fit through them. Then clear the path from any obstructions, including carpets.
- Remove decorations, if any. A good thing about upright pianos is that they have a shape that’s not a pain to handle, unlike grand pianos.
Wrap the piano? Firstly, wrap the lid over the keyboard with tape, just in case. This is done to ensure that the lid stays in place during the ride. For the rest of the instrument, you can either use plastic wrap or a cloth that’s big enough to cover it completely. Secure the wrap with tape.
Lift the piano on a dolly? For this, you will need to put on your work gloves and get help from friends. If you never thought about how heavy a piano is, the weight of an upright piano is around 130 kg. As a comparison, a grand piano can reach 500 kg. You need at least three strong pairs of arms for lifting an upright piano on the dolly (and at least six for a grand piano). While professionals use electronic devices to make it easy, safe, and with minimal strain.
- Strap your piano securely with dolly straps.
- Push the piano with the dolly.
- Use a ramp for the van? The piano should be both pulled and pushed in the van at the same time. Use the lifting straps for that and be very careful when standing behind it. The piano’s weight is big enough to crush you or at least cause a minor injury if you’re not careful enough.
- Secure the piano in the van? The piano should be placed against the back wall of the van with plenty of other items in front of it. You can secure it with furniture.
What to do next?
At Van-247 we have expert piano movers all over the UK. We are only a phone call away. We can safely move your piano wherever you go!
Was the knowledge base enough? I’m sure not. There is always room for more. So our speaker has prepared an extensive article where you can get more knowledge. Transporting a Piano in musical steps
Call us at 020 8368 7779 or fill out the contact forms below. Van-247 delivers excellent house removal, office removal, and pallet transport and may be reached via Linkedin, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter
For a quotation contact us at +44 (0) 2045523383 or fill out a form at https://van-247delivery.com/piano-transport/ One of our agents will call you within 5 minutes.
Van-247delivery — Delivered with Pride