Courier for furniture, how to lift?
Courier for furniture, every now and then life puts us in a difficult situation. Sometimes we need to lift heavy objects that weigh more than the human body can endure.
What is the result of lifting a heavy object? Yes, it leads to an endless list of potential injuries. Luckily, a correct way to handle weighty items exists. Thus, we could harmlessly do our job or at least reduce the risk of trauma to a minimum. Below we share proper lifting techniques for you to move house without any trouble.
How to lift ?
At Van-247 we love to help. Here is an easy guide, for you to know the proper way to lift heavy furniture and large items even when alone.
Examine the item you’re about to move
Size doesn’t mean everything. It’s important to check if the items are too heavy and look for comfortable pick-up spots. The latter will significantly decrease the chance of you getting hurt. Ask yourself if the object is well-balanced. If you’re lifting boxes, is there a risk of something falling off due to cracks or other weak spots? There’s no shame in asking for help.
Check your surroundings and choose a safe route
Clear any obstacles that stand in your way to avoid tripping. Be mindful of stairs and uneven floors.
Get into position
The key lies in preparation, thus a proper stance. Make sure your feet are shoulder-width apart. Keep your back straight, tighten your abdominal muscles, bend your knees, squat down to the floor and look straight ahead. If needed, put one knee on the floor and your other knee in front of you bent at a right angle. Get a good grasp of the load with both hands and get ready for lifting.
Lift and carry
You need to keep the item close to your body. Use your leg muscles to stand up and lift the load off the floor. Your back should remain straight throughout the process. Then, use slow and smooth moves. Do not twist your body when transporting furniture. Use your feet to change direction and take small steps. Lead with your hips as you change direction. As you move, keep your shoulders in line with your hips.
Drop the load
Once you have reached your destination and it’s time to put the object down, return to the squatting position, using only your leg muscles (not back). Keep your back straight, hold the item close to your body, and set it down gently as you reach the ground (or another surface).
Important tip: Do not attempt to move a piano or objects of similar size alone. Items this big require at least 2 or 3 people. Often, only professional movers from a reliable removal company can move objects as heavy as a piano.
How to lift heavy furniture and large Items with pulleys
Pulleys go hand in hand with lifting heavy objects and transporting furniture. A pulley is a system of one or more wheels with a looped rope around them. The system uses the laws of physics to distribute weight and make it easier to lift. They are widely used when people move out and change their addresses.
- Gather the materials for your system, to make your own pulley system, you need, at least one pulley, lifting slings, rope, work gloves, and barricades.
- Estimate a load of your heavy object, as a safety precaution, you need to get lifting straps needed for more than twice the object’s weight. Doesn’t matter if you’re moving home or if there’s an object that has to be lifted for a different purpose.
- Attach the lifting straps to the object, and make sure it’s well-rigged and won’t slip off.
- Calculate the number of pulleys required, the more pulleys, the easier for you (just more attachments needed). The velocity decreases and the mechanical advantage increases with each new pulley.
- Place the top pulley above the object’s final destination, this way, it will swing there by itself. Make sure there’s nice open space around the trajectory just in case.
- Test the load, if one pulley is not enough for you to push the system into gear, you might need a few more.
Courier for furniture, at Van-247
If you have more questions simply contact us through our website. Your personal removal checklist is one click away. Our courier service for furniture team prepare you one article with manys infos: Furniture courier, we’ll help you
For a quotation contact us at +44 (0) 2045523383 or fill out a form at furniture removals
One of our agents will call you within 5 minutes.
Van-247delivery — Delivered with Pride